Sunday, November 7, 2010

THON- Catrina Vargo (senior, Industrial Engineering)

THON is a year-long fundraising effort for The Four Diamonds Fund, a fund that supports families fighting pediatric cancer. The keyword is "support." THON is not only financial support but also emotional support for the families who are involved in THON. Involvement in THON enables Penn State students to be a part of something that is much larger than themselves. It is a unique experience in that it is the world's largest student-run philanthropy which provides many great leadership opportunities to Penn State students. Many students including myself have found that their involvement with THON was one of their most meaningful and beneficial experience in their life.

For more information regarding THON, please visit: http://thon.org/

My personal experience with THON began my freshman year. I had heard a great deal about THON before I even came to Penn State and I knew I wanted to see what it was all about. I joined a committee my first year of college and already gained experience being a functioning member of a committee that was working toward the greater goal of conquering pediatric cancer. For my first 3 years of college, I joined a committee every year because I had amazing experiences each year that allowed me to grow as a person and develop as a leader. Then, my senior year, I was chosen as a Morale captain, meaning that it was now my job to lead the committees that I had been a part of my freshman, sophomore and junior years. This experience has been absolutely amazing seeing the inner workings of THON and has given me the greatest leadership experience of my life.

My involvement in THON overall has made me confident that I will contribute a great deal to my future career as an engineer. I cherish all of the memories I have made in THON and I believe the life-changing experience is why most students are involved in THON. Check out a video for THON 2011, which will take place from February 18-20, 2011: THON 2011

-Catrina Vargo

No comments:

Post a Comment