Sunday, November 25, 2012

The ah-HA Moment (Matt DiNuzzo, Sophomore - Civil Engineering)




“So what do you want to be when you grow up?”

This innocent question has been thrown at me countless times growing up.  Ranging from the time in kindergarten when the grown ups flaunted their fancy uniforms and suits, all the way to the stressful junior year of high school applying to college programs. Even today I get this question asked to me by employers at career fairs (Only now staring blankly and saying “….umm” isn’t acceptable). So in a world with countless opportunities how do you discover what to do with your career and goals?

A simple way is to sit back and see what you naturally gravitate to.

As I was applying to different colleges and looking at different career paths, all of the information presented to me seemed bland and not relatable, almost as if it wasn’t real. Just another person spitting facts and numbers at me about this career or that field of study, and I really couldn’t picture myself in any of the situations.

I just knew that I was a kid that liked to analyze the world and wonder about how it works… and also watch Mythbusters in my free time.

I just loved watching Adam, Jamie, and the rest apply science to some outrageous myths that we have all heard of, and I began to think about these things when I wasn’t watching.  This ultimately sparked my interest in the engineering field, which is why I am currently majoring in civil engineering.

So when you find yourself bored on a rainy Saturday morning, take notice of what you find yourself thinking about, it could just be the answer to that ultimate question.

No comments:

Post a Comment