Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Greetings from Norway!- Kimberly Harrison (senior, Mechanical and Nuclear Engineering)

When I got involved with the Ambassador program last year, NEVER did I imagine that it would bring me across the world to Oslo, Norway! Myself, along with fellow Ambassador Danielle DaSilva, are currently assisting Melissa Marshall (faculty adviser for Engineering Ambassadors) in teaching a week-long workshop on high school science outreach to 11 Norwegian students from the University of Oslo. The Prepare Project, which is based on the Penn State Engineering Ambassadors, was organized by the Simula Research Laboratory. Overall, the mission of both groups is the same: recruiting more young students, especially females, to pursue a career in the fields of science and/or engineering. So far the best way I can think to describe this experience is that it has been incredibly life-changing. I've always been proud to share my experiences as an Engineering Ambassador, but it's still unreal to me that I have an opportunity to share my experiences with such a diverse audience. Seriously...is this real life?!

After traveling between four airports within the span of 12 hours (including a sprint through the Amsterdam airport), we arrived (exhausted) in Olso, Norway on a Saturday afternoon. We spent part of the weekend exploring some of the city, including the Royal Palace and Oslofjord. The architecture is unlike anything I've seen before, and the fjords are so gorgeous in their own right. Luckily, we had amazing fall weather which just added to the beautiful scenery. But the real highlight of the trip so far has been interacting with the Prepare Mentors. These 11 women are incredibly passionate about their topics and have a genuine interest in inspiring younger students. They are currently on day two working on developing their talks as I write this blog. Some of the topics they are preparing for high school talks include nanotechnology, sound waves and acoustics, biological control, and the electrical models of the heart and brain. The most wild part, however, is the fact that English is their second language! You'd never be able to tell though. It has been quite an experience for me to not only have an opportunity to share my experiences, but to also help teach technical communication with a language "barrier." I still can't believe it. Nonetheless, I have been absolutely blown away in the short time I've spent with the Mentors. Their passion and dedication is very inspiring. I look forward to seeing their finished product at the end of the week!

-Kimberly Harrison

No comments:

Post a Comment