Thursday, October 14, 2010

What Is Your Favorite Class?– Ashley Elias (junior, Mechanical Engineering)

I have had a lot of great classes so far at Penn State but one definitely stands out from the others. My freshman year I took a Mechanical Engineering freshmen seminar and it was so much fun! On top of learning a little about Mechanical Engineering and creating a resume, our main project was to build a robot out of Legos (who wouldn’t want to do that??). So twice a week I worked with a group of four students and we put together a dancing Lego tricycle that could spin, pop a wheelie, and even had spinning handle bars.

A large portion, and probably the most difficult portion, of this project was to program the robot to dance to a song for the dance off we had at the end of the semester. My group chose the song “Bicycle,” by Queen and it was a huge success! I would like to say my group’s robot was the best but I don’t remember there being an official winner. Needless to say, engineering classes are more than just calculators and text books; you get to meet other students while working in groups for awesome design challenges!

-Ashley Elias

No comments:

Post a Comment