Sunday, October 3, 2010

Summer 2010- Kacie Long (junior, Electrical Engineering)

Working at GE Aviation this past summer was an experience I wouldn’t trade for anything. At GE, I had the opportunity to work as a Separable Instrumentation Design Engineer. What that basically means is I was part of a team that was responsible for designing and installing the instrumentation and sensors that other engineers would use during an engine’s test phase in order to ensure the engine is working properly prior to its sale to the customer. It was awesome to have a job where I worked closely with mechanics and other engineers, and where I was able to spend a lot of time on the engine assembly shop floor. My job was really hands on and I was constantly surrounded by gigantic jet engines. I even had the opportunity to take apart a $1,000,000 jet engine as part of a class called Jet Engine Teardown School (JETS). I learned a ton about jet engines and working in a corporate environment as a result of these experiences.

My co-op experience wasn’t just about work. While at GE, I had the chance to go skydiving for the first time, which was something I never thought I’d be able to do. I also traveled to Puerto Rico, where I went snorkeling for the first time, and to Boston, where I experienced the fourth of July in one of the United States’ most historic cities. I made a ton of friends, and even met my boyfriend there. I would not have been able to do any of this without a steady (and pretty generous) paycheck. The point is, once you have the chance to have a taste of what it’s like to be a working member of society with a great job, take it. You definitely won’t regret it!

-Kacie Long

No comments:

Post a Comment